How to choose the best floor lamp for your space
Choosing the right floor lamp can transform the ambience of a room and provide practical lighting for specific tasks.
With so many different styles and designs available, deciding which lamp fits your space and meets your needs can be challenging.
Follow our handy guide on selecting the perfect floor lamp by considering factors such as practicality, size and the types of floor lamps available. Whether you’re looking for a statement piece or a subtle addition to your decor, we’ve got you covered.
Table of Contents
- Consider the light from your floor lamp.
- Consider the size or the use of the room.
- What are the types of floor lamps?
Consider the light from your floor lamp
From the bulb’s hue to the light’s direction, considering the light from your floor lamp ensures that it fits your room and needs.
Light diffusion from your floor lamp
Do you need the light to spread across the room, or will you require task lighting for reading or studying?
- Floor lamps generally diffuse light across the room evenly, are ideal for living rooms or sitting rooms and are best placed in corners.
- Tall floor lamps are better for larger spaces. The taller the light source, the more light will spread across the room. The only drawback is that the taller the lamp, the more likely the light bulb will reach your eye line and be uncomfortable. Just be sure to choose a height – around 173cm – to prevent you or your guests from being blinded when seated.
- Reading floor lamps or shorter floor lamps are ideal for reading or task lighting as they offer directed light that focuses on a certain area to reduce eye strain.
- Dimmable floor lamps offer the best of both worlds, allowing you to control the room’s light levels depending on your needs.
DESIGN FOR THE PEOPLE VERSALE WHITE FLOOR LAMP
Which colour hue do you prefer?
Different bulb colours have the ability to create a different ambience and are suited to different rooms.
- Extra Warm White creates a relaxing, vintage feel for living rooms and bedrooms.
- Warm white creates a cosy ambience for bedrooms, hallways and dining rooms.
- Cool white creates a cool and crisp light for office and kitchen spaces.
Which style of floor lamp gives the most light?
Floor lamps with LED bulbs give the most light, producing a brighter light than incandescent bulbs. Choose an LED bulb to fit your lamp, or find an LED integrated floor lamp for ease.
Consider the size or use of the room
Considering the size or use of the room allows you to answer questions like how the lamp will fit into the room or what style you need.
How big should a floor lamp be?
How big your floor lamp should be depends on what you’re using it for.
- Slim floor lamps of around 150cm won’t take up too much space. Floor lamps generally have a small base and a narrow stand, so they are ideal for creating a reading nook or adding pockets of light to dark corners. They are also ideal for bedrooms as they create a relaxing ambience.
- Arc floor lamps – about 220cm – generally have a wider base to counterbalance the overhanging arm, so they are best used as statement pieces. This type of lamp needs a lot of space, so it is best to be placed front and centre in a living room rather than behind a couch.
What are the types of floor lamps?
From striking statement lamps to sleek designs that blend into the room, there are various styles to consider when choosing a floor lamp.
Do you want a floor lamp which adds character to your home, impresses guests and acts as a decoration piece? Or do you prefer a subtle addition that combines effortlessly with your decor?
Standard floor lamp
A standard floor lamp has a base and a shade directly above the base, designed for area lighting. The lampshade softens the light for a more ambient glow, and the colour of the lampshade can affect the hue of the light.
The perfect lampshade should hide the bulb holder but not too much of the base. Choose a natural material with a slight texture, like linen or jute, for a softer glow. Neutral tones will offer a more flattering light. For a more modern aesthetic, try a structured, pleated style.
Best for: Living rooms for lighting dark corners
LAURA ASHLEY HIGHGROVE POLISHED NICKEL FLOOR LAMP & SHADE
Table floor lamp
The table floor lamp is usually a traditional style of lamp with a tray inserted at table height for storage. They are used for area lighting and are perfect for smaller spaces to combine lighting and storage to take up only a little space.
Best for: Smaller living rooms to conserve space
COLLECTION BLANC HAID CHAMPAGNE PAINTED FLOOR LIGHT WITH TABLE & GREY SHADE
Adjustable Floor Lamp
Adjustable floor lamps are ideal for task lighting as they can be moved and aimed in different directions. Focus the light for reading or studying for direct lighting that reduces eye strain.
Best for: Living rooms or offices to provide focused light
SEARCHLIGHT MACBETH ADJUSTABLE ANTIQUE COPPER FLOOR LAMP
Arched Floor Lamp
An arched floor lamp has a curved base with a light fixture at the end. These lamps provide downward lighting that can be styled over furniture, such as tables or sofas, for great down lighting. Arched lamps also make a great alternative to ceiling lights for strong, focused light.
Best for: Downward lighting in larger living rooms.
Tree floor lamps
Tree floor lamps include several individual lights attached to the main base. They can sometimes be moved independently to add light across different areas of the room. Usually, with strong bases, they have a sturdy construction, and the shades are small and closely cover the bulb for directed light.
Best for: Multiple sources of light for an eye-catching statement.
DESIGN FOR THE PEOPLE NOMI BLACK METAL FLOOR LAMP
Down bridge floor lamp
Down bridge floor lamps direct light downwards, making for great reading or task lights. The bulb and shade are usually at an angle, directing a pool of light onto your book. For this reason, they are ideally positioned next to the couch or chair for focused light.
Best for: Task lighting in living rooms or offices.
COLLECTION BLANC KARA GEOMETRIC BRUSHED GOLD & OPAL GLASS FLOOR LIGHT
Statement floor lamp
Statement lamps act more as decorative pieces while providing soft, focused light. Ideal for larger living rooms, they may take up more floor space but will prove to be eye-catching pieces that still offer a soft glow for a relaxing atmosphere.
Best for: Larger living rooms as a decorative piece.
COLLECTION BLANC KARA GEOMETRIC BRUSHED GOLD & OPAL GLASS FLOOR LIGHT
Tripod floor lamp
Tripod floor lamps will certainly garner ample attention as they are sleek and stylish while providing good lighting across living rooms or offices. They are best placed in corners to light up dark areas and will take up more floor space due to the wider base design.
Best for: Larger living rooms or office spaces.
Tower floor lamp
Tower floor lamps provide gentle lighting and double as a sculpture or piece of furniture. Sleek and stylish, they are perfect for modern spaces where design is at the forefront of your decor. They are best used with tables or other floor lamps if you require brighter light.
Best for: Ambient lighting in living rooms or bedrooms
COLLECTION BLANC ANGELICA OVAL ANTIQUE BRASS FLOOR LAMP & BLACK SHADE
Shop our floor lamps from Cp Lighting & Interiors
A well-chosen floor lamp not only enhances the visual appeal of your room but also provides practical lighting for your everyday activities.
Explore our full selection of sleek and stylish designs to find the perfect floor lamp to light up your home.
How To Mix Modern And Vintage Decor Like An Expert
Comments are closed here.